Are you? Don’t you? - Showing surprise and question tags

You can use ‘Are you?’, ‘Do you?’ etc. to show that you are interested or surprised.
You are late for the meeting. Oh, am I? I’m sorry.
She was sick last week. Was she? I didn’t know that.
I speak four languages. Do you? Really? Which ones?
They got married last month. Did they? That’s surprising.

You can use ‘Are you?’, ‘Do you?’ etc. at the end of a sentence. These mini-questions are question tags.
It’s a beautiful day, isn’t it?
Sally lives in London, doesn’t she?
Tom will be here soon, won’t he?

That isn’t your car, is it?
You haven’t met my brother, have you?
You won’t be late, will you?

See more:

Show all English Grammar lessons

Языковой детонатор - книга о естественных законах изучения иностранных языков. Как лекго выучить любой язык за 9 месяцев. Читать бесплатно!
❤️DONATE❤️